Noble Mission and Clear Vision
The National Center for e-Learning and Distance Learning (NCeL) has emerged, under the umbrella of the Ministry of Higher Education, as a leader, supervisor, and supporter of e-Learning at the higher education level. We aspire to become a melting pot of Saudi universities’ experience in the field of e-Learning, and to pave the way for a promising future through honest competition and widened horizons.
The center is pursuant to of the vision of the Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques for the empowerment of creative innovation, supporting the universities’ role in the building of a 21st century Saudi society and a new generation of Saudi learners.
The Ministry of Higher Education seeks, through serious steps, to achieve its ambitious vision by the means of its strategic plan (Afaq), which covers the next 25 years. The Ministry is working to realize the integration of all relevant sectors in order to cope with the latest technological developments and the state of the art. This starts with a desire to invest in the advancement of a new type of education based on the latest and best application of state-of-the-art technologies, and uplift traditional education. This reality leads us to make the necessary transformation to an integrated system for the enrichment of the educational process, so as to become a prestigious “knowledge society.”
We believe in the establishment of a holistic educational system based on the best applications and techniques of e-Learning, as well as the achievement of progress and excellence in both learning and teaching. We seek to become a prominent think tank and a national reference for e-Learning.
We want to exploit our potential to support excellence in learning and teaching through the optimal employment of IT and other modern systems, in a way that enhances communication and interaction in order to achieve national goals.
Once the center has a national identity on which it can build its vision, and works out the details of its noble mission, it will necessarily be accompanied by its original values. The motive of these values is an upright religion that urges knowledge, science, proficiency, and social traditions that place science and scientists in a dignified, high position of professionalism, diversity, and team spirit, with a concentration on meeting learners’ needs. This involves a spirit of partnership and integration that enhances opportunities to upgrade education and learning systems, with respect to the reservation of intellectual, scientific, and moral rights.
The NCeL has been established for the achievement of several major objectives. The most noted are as follows.
1. The promotion of e-Learning and distance education applications in compliance with quality standards.
2. Raising awareness of proper e-Learning culture and understanding.
3. Quality assurance of projects and programs for e-Learning and distance education.
4. Support for research in the fields of e-Learning and distance education.
5. The creation of national quality standards for the design, production, and publication of e-learning practices.
6. The provision of consultancies to other partners relevant to NCeL’s areas of specialization.
7. The launch of national e-Learning initiatives.
8. Encouragement and coordination of distinguished projects in e-Learning and distance education.
9. The organization of meetings, conferences, and workshops that contribute to the development of e-Learning and distance education.
10. International cooperation with similar global organizations and bodies.
We have no doubt that the future of e-Learning and distance education is an integrated part of the world’s technological future. Therefore, we are heading towards the future with a firm commitment to our original values, while at the same time serving as a convoy for new technology.