These regulations were approved by the decision of the Board of Directors of the National eLearning Center No. (1/5/41) dated 21/12/1441 AH, based on The Mandates of the Center issued by the Council of Ministers No. (35) on 13/1/1439 AH.
Wherever they appear in the document, the following words and phrases shall have the meaning set out below, except where the context requires otherwise.
Mandates: The Mandates of the National eLearning Center.
Center: National eLearning Center.
Board: The Board of the Center.
Chairman: The Chairman of the Board.
Director: The Director General of the Center.
Regulations: Licensing regulations for online learning and online training programs.
Institution: The educational, academic, or online training institution or organization that provides online learning or online training programs. The institution is subject to the supervision of the Center, in accordance with its specialization stated in the regulations.
Online Learning: Implementation of educational technologies, information, and communication technologies to increase the efficiency of the different educational and online training processes and control their quality.
Saudi Standard Classification of Education: A standard classification guide for education programs, specializations, and qualifications. It also includes the flow, transition, and progress within the educational system in accordance with the fixed and unified standards in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Online Learning and Online Training Standards: Standards approved by the Center’s Board of Directors to regulate license issued for institutions and programs.
Implementing Regulations: Detailed rules, instructions, and procedures issued by the Center, which are crucial for the implementation of the licensing regulation.
Program: Electronic educational units of academic or online training materials or courses that end by granting an accredited certificate or by completing a specific educational level according to the Saudi Standard Classification.
License: An approval document issued by the Center for either an authority (institutional license) or a program (program license) specified for the use of online learning or online training in accordance with the provisions of this regulation.
This regulation aims to establish licensing controls for the institution that offers online learning or online training programs.
The Center shall supervise these regulations’ implementation of provisions.
The provisions of these regulations shall apply to the following categories:
- The institution that offers different online learning and online training programs.
- The online learning and online training programs provided by the institution.
The Center shall be responsible for licensing each of the above-mentioned categories in accordance with the standards specified in this regulations document.
The institution wishing to offer an online learning and online training program shall obtain a license from the Center according to the following standards:
- Institutional licensing standards:
- The institution shall hold a license to practice the learning or training activity from a competent authority.
- The institution shall meet the online learning and online training standards approved by the Council.
- Program licensing standards:
- The institution shall hold an institutional license from the Center.
- The program shall be approved by a competent authority.
- The program shall grant an approved certificate or complete a specific educational level according to the Saudi Standard Classification.
- The program shall not include intensive clinical or practical units or any other units that require professional application.
- The program shall meet the online learning and online training standards approved by the Council.
The license’s term for both the institutions and the programs is four years, subject to renewal. The licensee shall submit a renewal application before the license expires within a period of not less than six months from the validity date of the license. In the event that the licensee does not comply with this, Article 9 of this regulation shall apply, and the licensee must submit an application to obtain a new license.
The Board shall determine the financial compensation for the licenses that are subject to the provisions of this regulation. It shall include the costs of the audits.
The Center shall issue the institutional license for the institutions and the program license after fulfilling the conditions mentioned in this regulation.
- The licensee shall consider the following controls:
- Using the license only for the intended purpose for which it was issued.
- Respecting the intellectual property rights established for others, as the license is not considered an intellectual property document for the program and the educational or training content it provides.
- Complying with the rights of electronic publication.
- Complying with the laws and regulations enacted in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- If the licensee breaches the rules upon which the license is granted, the Center has the right to take the necessary actions to preserve the rights of the beneficiaries and to suspend or cancel the institutional or program license or both, after warning the licensee for a sufficient period. The implementation regulations shall be determined by the Center, and the licensee shall not announce new programs and accept new beneficiaries after being alerted. Until a decision is issued by the Center regarding the warning’s dismissal, the licensee shall bear any financial costs to the Center or others.
Institutions providing online learning or online training services shall rectify their situation within a year from the date of this regulation’s entry into force. Otherwise, they are not allowed to practice online learning or online training, and the Center shall take the necessary actions.
The Center shall prepare the implementing regulations for this document within thirty days from the date of its adoption.
The regulation comes into force after thirty days from the date of its publication in the official gazette.